Sunday, 5 April 2009


It has come time to spray the phone. By this point I have produced several sample colours and mixed up one that I am happy with and that matches well to the colour of the phone fascia I am using as reference. Before spraying the final cellulose coat I have primed both sides of the phone to a standard where I could not see any marks or dents.

However, when I gave the front face of the phone its first couple of coats of paint, I was not particualrly happy with the result...I had some dry spray around certain sections and there was a quite noticeable blemish on two parts of the phone. One at the top of the phone, and another in the area of where I had slotted in the piece of chemiwood with the walkman logo. This was frustrating as neither of these marks could be seen in the final coat of primer I had applied. The reason being is because the paint I mixed has a satin sheen to it, therefore in certain lights the marks are visible because the surface is not 100% even. To correct this problem I used wet sand paper at a grade of 8oo to take back any raised areas.
These problem areas continued to show up with another couple of coats of cellulose. Continually spraying and then using a very fine sandpaper grade to try and blend the discrepancies, eventually improved the problem, so the marks are a lot less visible than before.
I was recommended to use cellulose stopper paint to try and correct the problem. This acts as a sort of filler to even out the surface, however on further research of this product and due to time constraints I decided I didn't want to risk causing any further problems. Information page on stopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment