I made my stand from clear acrylic in a simple shape that gives support to the back of the phone at a tilted angle. I will be displaying the model at the New Blades Show, so I have looked into possibly getting a rotating stand for the exhibition, in order to show both sides of the phone equally.
Sunday, 3 May 2009
I'm now at a stage where I am putting the different componants of the phone together. I produced a mock screen on photoshop and I've added all the electronics.
Saturday, 2 May 2009
The camera section at the back of the mobile phone has been one of the most difficult pieces to get right for this model. The finish of the camera is a metallic blue colour. Ideally I wanted to spray a chrome effect base coat and spray over this with a blue tint colour. However the only chrome paint I could find that gives me the effect I need is enamel based from a spray can. As the blue tint I have sourced is a cellulose paint if I spray it directly on top there is a reaction between the two paints which spoils the finish. Not being able however to find a chrome spray with a cellulose base that is reflective enough led me to try producing the two paint coats on separate layers. I therefore vacuum formed the camera section master I had made. On the master I sprayed the chrome effect and on the vacuum form I sprayed the tint. As I used clear styrene to vac form with the reflective layer of chrome can be seen through the blue tinited layer, leaving me with an effect that is close to matching that part of the phone.